Walt Disney Animation Studios Recruiting Set Extension/Matte Painting Artist
Walt Disney Animation Studios combines the very best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new characters and environments to the big screen for audiences around the world. Constantly empowered to create innovative new technologies for animated features, theme park productions, and special projects for the Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney Animation Studios is home to some of the most talented artists working in the film industry today.
Disney Animation’s Set Extension/Matte Painting Artists use their knowledge of today’s CG tools, combined with their strong painting skills to believably extend digital environments in a 3D world. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Set Extension Artist at our Burbank, CA studios.
To apply for this position, you must include a resume and a link to your reel with a reel breakdown, featuring samples of digital Set Extensions and samples of traditional painting as well as the ability to match different artistic styles.
* An organic approach to executing dimensional, pre-lit, view-dependent artwork seamlessly integrated with fully CG environments
* Work with environment team and Production Designers to stylistically extend the environments digitally for the films we are creating
* Create backgrounds, landscapes, and environments in a 3D world using digital rendering and painting programs such as Maya, Photoshop, Nuke, Houdini, Clarisse, etc as well as GI rendering and Disney’s proprietary software, etc.
* Extrapolate art direction: i.e. design, architectural style, lighting and graphics, which adhere to the Production Designer's overall vision
* Support the technical aspects of the work created
* Use expertise to help influence the future direction of Set Extension tools and techniques within the Look Development department
* Collaborate with the Art Department, Layout, Modeling, Look Development, Lighting, and Stereo teams
* Learn the Look Development toolset and share the Set Extension process to the rest of the Look Development group
* Bachelor's degree or comparable experience
* High skill level in painting, composition, perspective, and color in programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, XGen, World Machine, etc.
* Understand a 2.5D workflow with multiple projection cameras
* Comfortable with Maya, Photoshop, Nuke
* Knowledge of Mac OSX and Linux
* Ideal candidates would possess secondary craft skills or come from a generalist background
* Basic experience in Modeling, Look Development, and Lighting within the 3D environment