Dreamworks Animation Recruiting Supervising Director
DreamWorks Animation Television seeks a Supervising Director for an 11 minute, board-driven 2D animated comedy. Our Supervising Directors will lead the Animatic teams consisting of Animatic Editors, Storyboard artists and Revisionists, in taking rough storyboards through the entire Animatic process. Our Supervising Directors work with the Executive Producers in overseeing the acting, timing, pacing and final writing of the episode during the initial animatic build and in overseeing the insertion of recorded dialogue, final acting and timing during the lock. The Supervising Director will work with production to deliver animatics to and communicate with the Animation Studio. The Supervising Director will take notes from Executives and Executive Producers and lead their team in the execution of those notes. Supervising Directors are also providing guidance and mentorship to their team.
DreamWorks Animation Television has exciting new opportunities for Directors to join its in-house team based in Glendale, CA. This position is covered by the Animation Guild. We are seeking candidates who are familiar with the animation pipeline and experienced in drawing storyboards and directing animated tv shows.
Working with Animatic Editors to direct timing, acting and pacing.
Storyboard and Write additional material during the animatic process along with EP’s, Directors and a Storyboard Revisionist.
Take notes from Executive Producers and Studio Execs and lead Storyboard Revisionists in executing notes.
Collaborate with the Executive Producers and Line Producer to discuss creative ambitions and producibility for each episode.
Participate in storyboard handouts, design reviews and contribute to the project creatively in many areas.
Participate in storyboard reviews and give creative notes.
Evaluate the continuity and quality of all story aspects and punch up the storyboards and/or animatics as needed.
Provide status updates, troubleshoot, and review potential changes on a regular basis with production staff.
Participate in the talent acquisition process with the Line Producer to review portfolios and tests, interview candidates, and provide detailed feedback.
Mentor and support the Episodic Directors and Storyboard team to cultivate positive team morale.
● Strong drawing skills with a demonstrated sense of staging, composition, and cartoony character acting.
● Strong comedic writing skills and understanding of story structure and dialogue.
● Strong timing skills and understanding of the animatic process.
● A strong understanding of the TV animation production pipeline.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Proven ability to meet deadlines and keep a team on schedule.
● Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
● Proven comedic storyboarding abilities.
● At least 2 years of experience as a Director working in television animation.
● Extensive prior Storyboard Directing experience and extensive Storyboarding experience.
● Familiarity with Storyboard Pro and Photoshop.
● Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
● Ideal candidates will be able to provide storyboard and directing samples.