Double Negative Studio Recruiting Software Engineer (2D Tools)
Key Purpose of the Job:
As a Software Developer in the 2D team at DNEG, you will work as part of a highly engaged and knowledgeable team developing software, APIs and plugins that enable our 2D artists and Compositors to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning, and award-winning, visual effects and feature animation work.
Our 2D team develop and maintain the tools and software that are used throughout our entire pipeline from the ingestion of client data to the delivery of Visual Effects projects - predominantly from within Nuke. Your expertise and experience in dealing with low-level software architecture will be valuable in your success in this role. You will be working on things such as writing a Graph / Scripting language for the auto-generation of assets, writing Nuke plugins to help increase the efficiency of our toolset, and writing APIs to help improve our pipeline.
Our Software Developers are highly technical and are methodical in their approach to solving complex problems. You will be required to:
• Investigate solutions and techniques to improve our existing 2D tools and plugins
• Develop new software which integrates seamlessly into DNEG's pipeline
• Present your ideas for development opportunities to the 2D Lead developer and R&D Supervisors
• Produce technical specifications and documentation for the tools you develop
• Take care of bug reports and support requests swiftly and efficiently
• As well as being technically proficient, you will also need to be an excellent communicator. You will • work very closely with artists, technical supervisors and Heads of Department from our 2D and • Compositing departments to establish development roadmaps and write user documentation. • Therefore your ability to articulate complex technical information to non-technical people will help you thrive in this role.
This is a great opportunity to join DNEG's growing Production Technology department working as part of a team of talented software developers contributing to the technology behind extraordinary Visual Effects and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
• OpenGL graphics programming experience
• Significant programming experience in C++
• Experience of development in a Linux environment
• Knowledge of image processing
Nice to Have
• Experience with Nuke
• Programming experience in Python
• Practical experience of designing and developing APIs
• Familiarity with the Visual Effects pipeline
• Practical experience with OS Compiler systems
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our technical directors have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.